NOPSI 1001, running as SPECIAL on City Park Avenue. This was a training run, to demonstrate the company's proposal for single-man streetcar operation.
The 1000-series arch roof cars were ordered by NOPSI in 1927, ten from Perley A. Thomas, ten from St. Louis Car Company. They were very much an engineering upgrade from the 800- and 900-series cars. The 1000s had four motors, making them faster than the earlier generation arch roofs. They were also a bit wider, making for a more comfortable ride.
NOPSI's original intent was to introduce the 1000s into the system with single-man operation, but city government, with the complete backing of the transit union, would not allow the company to eliminate conductors. Because of this, the 1000s didn't enter service right away when delivered in 1928. Eventually, NOPSI converted the twenty 1000s for two-man (motorman/conductor) operation, and ran them on the St. Claude line from 1935 to 1949. They were scrapped in 1949, when St. Claude was converted to trackless trolley operation.
This photo was shot in front of Delgado Junior College, on City Park Avenue, in Mid City. At the time, the Canal and Esplanade lines ran in "belt" service. The Canal line ran outbound on Canal Street, turned onto City Park Avenue, making its way over to Esplanade Avenue, where it ran inbound to Rampart, then Canal. The Esplanade line ran the opposite, going outbound on Esplanade Avenue to City Park, where it traveled the opposite track to Canal Street for its return run.